Installing MEEG on OS X 10.6
Installing MEEG on OS X 10.6 (snow leopard)
This tutorial will guide you through the installation of MEEG on your OS X 10.6 system, using the included Apache server. This process usually takes about 15-25 minutes. Some additional free software will be required so a connection to the internet might be useful.
To use OS X internal web server for running MEEG source code some settings must be changed. First of all, php must be enabled in the apache server. To do that some Terminal commands will be needed.
Then a MySQL server must be installed on your system.
Please refer to the Manual Section of the MEEG application menu (by opening MEEG in your Browser and clicking on the Manual button) to continue the installation and start to use MEEG.
Modify the Apache configuration (to enable php)
- Open System Preferences -> Sharing and make sure that “personal web sharing” is turned off (if it is on, you can turn it off during this installation)
- Open Terminal (on Applications/Utilities) and type the following string:sudo pico /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
You will be asked for the administrator password. Once you have typed it (please notice that you won’t be able to see what you are typing!) press return.
A text editor (pico) window will be opened with the apache configuration text file in it.
- By using the down arrow key, reach the line that reads:“#LoadModule php5_module libexec/apache2/libphp5.so”
(tip: you can search this line by using the search function of pico (Ctrl+W) typing the word “php”)
- To uncomment this line use the arrows keys go to the beginning of the line and remove the character “#” using the backspace key. now the line should be displayed as:LoadModule php5_module libexec/apache2/libphp5.so
- Press Ctrl+O and then press Return to confirm that you want to save settings.
- Press Ctrl-X to quit Pico.
- Go to the website http://dev.mysql.com
- From the download section of the site, download the package “Mac OS X (package format)” (ver 5.1 required)
- Open the downloaded .dmg file, and install the “mysql-5.1.XX-osx10.5-x86.pkg” package first.
- Then install “MySQLStartupItem.pkg” and finally “MySQL.prefPane”.
- Now you should see the new MySQL pane in the System Preferences window.
- Click on the MySQL pane and Start the server (for your ease you can check “Automatically Start MySQL on Startup”).
Create a new user (‘meeg’) in MySQL
- Open Terminal and type:/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql –user=root mysql
- Type the following line in MySQL Shell:GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO ‘meeg’@’%’;
(the final semicolon is essential!) and press return.
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO ‘meeg’@’localhost’;
and press return.
- If you want to set a password for the database user ‘meeg’ please use this two queries following the previous ones or in place of them:GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO ‘meeg’@’localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘YourPassword’ WITH GRANT OPTION;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO ‘meeg’@’%’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘YourPassword’ WITH GRANT OPTION;
- Finally, type ‘quit’ and hit return to exit from the MySQL Shell
To complete the installation open System preference / sharing and (re)start the personal web sharing.
Installing the MEEG source code
- Unpack the MEEG installer package and copy the meeg folder into your sites folder (YourUserName Home / Sites)
- Now open a web browser (Firefox is highly recommended) and go to the address: http://localhost/~YourUserName/meeg.
- If you are notified the following error: “Forbidden. You don’t have permission to access /~YourUserName/meeg/ on this server.” you will have to change the permissions of this folder to “Read Only” for everyone.To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Sites folder on finder. Select “meeg” folder and “Get Info” about it.
- Now open the “Sharing & Permissions” section and select at least “Read Only” for everyone.
- Unlock changes by clicking on the padlock located on bottom/right and providing administrator user name and password.
- Under the ‘gear’ menu select the option “Apply to enclosed items…”.
Now MEEG should be reachable at the address: http://localhost/~YourUserName/meeg.
Press the Manual button to continue the installation and start using MEEG.